Tuesday, August 31, 2010

...Exploring the Plains

One wonderful thing I learned this summer is that I have family all over the country. Well, let me clarify that and say that I have family all over the country... south of the Mason-Dixon line.

One place I did not previously know that I have family is in Colorado. Not only do I have a cousin who lives in Cheyenne Wells, Colorado, but I have another Cousin who lives right smack-dab in the middle of Boulder. Needless to say I spent some quality time with Adam and his family. I did take a picture with his little girls before I left the city, so you all will get to see at least one piece of graphical proof.

Below are myself and my brother, Ian, with Erin (on his shoulders) and Anna (on my shoulders). Aren't they just adorable? And they are so smart!


After leaving Boulder on that Sunday afternoon, we made our way down into Cheyenne Wells, Colorado. Our family there includes my cousin, Truett, and his mother, Shanda, and Step-Father, Danny. I wasn't sure what to expect out of Cheyenne Wells, all that I had heard was that it was a bump-in-the-road in southern Colorado (claimed my mother). Well, that was about right.

Cheyenne Wells has a high school (Truett says there are about 15 kids per class) a hotel (The Trail In Motel, owned by Shanda and Danny) and several bars. That's about it. The town is surrounded by farm land, so the motel gets a surprising amount of traffic... as it usually puts up the summer laborers.

We were extremely glad to see Truett and Shanda, as it has been about ten years since either Ian or I had seen them. Danny, we had never met before, and he turned out to be a lovely addition to the family. He's a cowboy through and through, and you can tell that Truett looks up to him and he's a good dad to the kid.

Truett... that boy is HUGE. He's a football player now - he spent much of the summer at an LSU high school football camp, and apparently got noticed by one of the coaches. Here's to hoping that when he's applying to colleges he gets recruited, or at least red-shirted for the team!

Their hospitality was wonderful... not only did they put us up in one of their hotel rooms (it was so quaint and cute!) But they fed us dinner and breakfast and tolerated us riling up their little Yorkshire dog. She attacks pillows (as trained by Truett, of course) and protects Shanda as if she were the dog's own pup.

Overall, as small as Cheyenne Wells is, it was a pleasant visit. If you're ever driving through that area of the country, I'm going to point you towards Cheyenne Wells. Just go to the Trail In Motel and tell them Amy Plunk sent you. I'm sure you'll at least get a discount :-)

Tomorrow, we shall discuss... Texas!
Until then, I love you all!
Plunk!

Progress across this country of ours.


A) Boulder, CO
B) Cheyenne Wells, CO

Total mileage so far: 195

No comments:

Post a Comment