Wednesday, June 9, 2010

...Living on My Own

Well hello again! Two posts in two days, I think this is a new record for me! Tonight will be a brief one, however, for I just returned to MY APARTMENT after watching a late-night movie, and I have to be working in the machine shop at 0800 tomorrow morning.

As you may or may not have noticed, I am SUPER PUMPED about living on my own for the first time in my life. No, mother, I don't love you any less, I'm just ready to be out in the real world. Yes, yes, I realize that living in a University apartment isn't exactly the real world, but cut me a break, will you? Baby steps.

Room 2215, Bear Creek Apartments. That's where all of you stalkers can find me. You can walk in my front door and maybe see me in the kitchen, munching on the abundance of meatloaf I now have after not realizing how ridiculously huge of a loaf my family recipe makes. Or maybe you will see me sitting on the couch, or one of the two chairs, oiling my bike chain. Perhaps you will see one of my two lovely roommates, Lisa and Emily, engrossed in their favorite TV shows online. Or, who knows? Maybe I'll be in my room. Although I doubt it. It's so much more lovely to be in the common space, enjoying the company of my new found friends.

The first morning that I was here, Lisa and I attempted a run around campus. They warned me about the altitude, but did I listen? We got maybe 3/4 of a mile before neither of us could take in a substantial breath. Walking it is. No matter, however, for there is more to see when one walks. The campus here is gorgeous. With tiled rooftops and red-stone exteriors, it's no classic Mount Holyoke, but it holds an appeal that is all its own. After a brief shopping trip to Target with the girls, we met up with some of our hall mates for dinner.

There's Brian, or Tall Kid as we endearingly call him, and his roommates Rob, who dates an actress, and Greg, the kid who's always smiling. The other room houses Miguel, the fiery Columbian, Tyler, the decision maker, and Daniel... tornado shooter extraordinaire.

I spend most of my time outside of lab with these kids... and I love 'em all. Whether they're tolerating me as I squeal while watching Glee, or accompanying us girls out to Pearl Street for dinner, they're a rag-tag bunch of really fun guys.

But it's not just my hall mates that have made this living arrangement so pleasant, it's the food! When you have an entire kitchen at your fingertips, and a lovely little Market Store a block away, you find the time to make some lovely dishes. I have so far dabbled in stir fry, quinoa, acorn squash, and meatloaf. I'm still a little rough on the portioning of said meals, and as exampled by the meatloaf, usually end up eating the same food for several days. But how lovely to be able to get back from work, go on a quick 8-10 mile bike ride, and leisurely cook dinner while watching Merlin online? Hopefully I will be putting up some recipes over the summer for you, my dears, to try yourself.

Like I said, I had to keep this brief, and hopefully I will get some pictures up tomorrow. But alas, I must turn in for the night.

Watch out tomorrow for a synopsis of my first few days working for the Physics Department of CU.
Love to you all,
Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment